For all participating cupcake bakers, there is an optional cupcake contest. You will be required to submit six cupcakes (all the same recipe and decoration) in addition to your donated commitment into the competition. One cupcake will be used for public display and the others will be used by the judges. ** Reminder: Each entry includes 6 cupcakes for judging, photographs and display (you can enter more than once).
We have trophies and awards that will be awarded at the cupcake camp for the following categories. The winning cupcake from each category is the cupcake that receives the highest score from the judging panel based on the (1) cake, (2) frosting, (3) appearance. There will also be a winning cupcake overall (a best of show!)
There are two divisions for the competition: Professional and Amateur
Our judges will strongly consider the theme when judging the cupcakes. This is a great chance to show your sweetness!
(1) “FROSTING! The International Language of Love!” – Amateur
(2) “FROSTING! The International Language of Love!” – Professional
(3) Best Cake – Amateur
(4) Best Cake – Professional
(5) Best Appearance – Amateur
(6) Best Appearance – Professional
(7) Best Overall – Amateur
(8) Best Overall – Professional
Here are some of the important rules:
1. Entries must be Cupcake Campers (a camper is someone who has signed up to donate at least 6 dozen cupcakes to camp.)
2. Each camper entry must submit 6 of the same cupcake for judging to the judging area by 12:30pm the day of the camp.
3. Entries will be given a number, and be judged without any indication of baker to judges until the announcement of the winner.
4. Judges will be a mix of celebrity foodies or cooking professionals. Decision of the judges will be final authority to determine winners.
5. Winners will be announced beginning 3pm the day of the camp.
6. Winners will receive trophies, ribbons and certificates, as well as bragging rights. Winners will be given recognition on our blog.
7. Professional division will include cupcakes from established baking establishments with store fronts, websites or advertisements appearing in media selling their cupcakes.
8. Amateur division will judge cupcakes from home bakers. Having sold your cupcakes does not prevent you from entering this division, but meeting any of the criteria for professional baker will automatically enter the cupcake into the professional division.
9. Cupcake Camp Competition Committee will be final authority on status of division entries.
Best Overall (Professional): Asian Mint - Orange Mandarin
Best Texas-themed (Professional): The Perfect Slice - Jalapeño Lime
Best Easter-themed (Professional): The Perfect Slice - Lemon Berry w/ an Easter bunny on top!
Best Overall (Amateur): Melissa Holliday - Pina Colada
Best Texas-themed (Amateur): Emily Sanderson (Sweet Bella Roos)- Pecan Pie
Best Easter-themed (Amateur): Jessica Hendrickson (Jessicakes)- Carrot cake w/ cream cheese frosting